293M RADAR OFFICE
This type was an S-band target indicator (sometimes referred
to as 'Warning Combined' type) using the same transmitter as the
277 type and was equipped with the new, azimuth stabilized,
'cheese' antenna. It acquired that name because it looked like a
block of cheese cut in half. Stabilization was necessary otherwise,
the roll of the ship would tilt the 'fanned' beam and air targets
might be displayed at wildly wrong bearings. The beam was wide in
the vertical plane so that the ship's roll would have little
effect. Typical detection range was 15 nm for an aircraft at 10,000
feet. Type 293M, which incorporated an 8 foot antenna, was
introduced into service in 1945. 293P was similar to the previous
model but it was modified for easier maintenance. A post-war radar
program introduced the 293Q set with a redesigned 12 foot antenna.
HMCS HAIDA was fitted with the 293 type until the late 1950's.
293M Office. Starboard
230 volt, 50 cycle, 3 phase power board; DUG Motor starter; Power board
for DUG (180 volt, 500 cycle); Board Distributing 2-AM
RCN Photo HS 1749-52
293M office. After bulkhead.
Output unit; P51 receiver; modulator; 253P IFF controls over
modulator. On the port bulkhead, receiving panel L26; Wavemeter G82A and
anti-wave clutter unit over L-26; aerial controls unit 20H below.
RCN Photo HS 1749-53
293M Office. After bulkhead
modulator; On the port bulkhead, 253P IFF (extreme left of photograph)
242 IFF responser, performance meter, modulator and mixer; Receiver
panel L26, with wavemeter G82A and anti-wave clutter unit; AQR aerial
control table (front cover removed to show control unit 20-H).
RCN Photo HS 1749-54
293M Office. Port bulkhead.
PPI Unit; ranging outfit RTE including panel L-37 and two strobe generators; cathode
follower unit is below RTE.
RCN Photo HS 1749-55