Frequency range 200 to 3500 meters,
Made by: American Marconi
Comment: Towards the end of 1922, GE introduced a conversion kit to convert earlier 106 models into a regenerative 106D model. The track and gear loose coupled secondary was replaced by an entirely new assembly with the coupling coil hinged over the secondary coil. It still covered the 200-3500 meters that the earlier 106 models did.
The type 106 was of the same general appearance as the earlier 101 and 102. It was smaller and tuned from 200 to 3500 meters. Most of the design work was done by Roy Weagant, but Fred Sammis and Harry Shoemaker also had a hand in it. The earliest 106s sported an engraved panel while later models used etched metal dials and plates, the result of faster production during the war years."
The 106 receiver was marketed early in 1915 and used for many years, with updated versions of the 106B, the 106C and finally the RCA 106D. It was still used aboard ships until January of 1942, when they and all other regenerative receivers were outlawed for marine use for fear the radiated energy might be picked up by enemy direction finders on submarines.
|106 image via Pinterest|
|106 nameplate (image via Pinterest)|
|106 battery box which was stored under the operating table. (Source: Kreuzer collection)|
Credits and References:
2) Jim Kreuzer`s chapter on American Marconi from his article
" Marconi -The Man and His Apparatus" , printed in the AWA Review vol. 9 1995
Back to Equipment Listings