|A NOOTKA was already in service with the RCN when the Tribal was laid down. The first of the name was a 696 ton Basser Class coal burning trawler named after Nootka Sound in British Columbia. The old ship was eventually sold and became a mercantile tug. Commissioned on 7th August 1946 at Halifax, NOOTKA served as a training ship on the east coast and the Caribbean until her conversion to a destroyer escort in 1949 and 1950. A minor calamity occurred on 1st April 1949 when NOOTKA was refuelling at sea. The quick release coupling on the hose accidently released itself and a fountain of high pressure oil sprayed all over the ship from the 293 radar antenna to the waterline and including the Chief Stoker and the Engineering Officer. There was so much of it to clean up that NOOTKA used up all of her cotton waste and had to get more from MAGNIFICENT. After completing more exercises, she was paid off on 15th August 1949.|
March 1961 saw HAIDA, HURON and NOOTKA battling through an icy gale to help search for a Nova Scotian fisherman who encountered difficulties in the Atlantic. NOOTKA's evaporator pump, turbo-generator and sonar gear gave trouble in spite of regular and extensive refits. In 1963, with HAIDA, she toured the Great Lakes in the course of a summer's cruising. NOOTKA'S last series of exercises found her in Bermuda. While berthing at the jetty, the wind pushed her hard up against the jetty while berthing and she sustanied some damage. A temporary concrete patch allowed her to return home. She was de-comissioned at Halifax on 6th February 1964 and broken up at Faslane Scotland the following year.