If you would like to be listed on this page, please contact Jerry Proc, e-mail: and supply any information, comments or a story about your years of service aboard Huron.

In addition, Records of Service can be obtained from Library and Archives Canada at the following address:

Personnel Records Unit
Library and Archives Canada
395 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0N3

All the necessary instructions are listed on the web page.
Toll free 1-866-578-7777 (Canada and U.S.A)
Fax:     (613) 947-8456

For further details, visit the Library and Archives Canada web page:

Application Form For Record of Service 

Bishop, Donald H.  LSRN3

I joined the RCN in January 1949 and was part of the first new entry training in Halifax. My service number therefore ended in H.  After basic training I entered an electrical couse graduating as an OSEM and was drafted to the weather ship HMCS St. Stephen.  She was also known as HMCS Appendicitis and on my third trip to station Baker, I developed symptoms so another emergency run was necessary into St. Johns, NFLD.  I left the ship there and I was flown back to HMCS Stadacona.

I joined the Huron in March 1950.  I can remember us "swinging the compass" in Bedford Basin, and performing sea trials out of Halifax and a trip or two to Bermuda before departing on a goodwill trip to Europe.  This trip was comprised of HMCS Magnificent, HMCS Iroquois and Huron.  We visited Edinburgh, Scotland - Londonderry, N.  Ireland -  Oslo, Norway - Goteborg, Sweden - Copenhagen, Denmark, - Cherbourg, France - Lisbon, Portugal - Gibralter  and returned to Halifax. I think our first port of call was in England.  I missed one of our ports Amsterdam,  Holland.  I can never forget the reception we received there.  When our Canada shoulder badges were seen, everyone was buying us drinks. A Dutch gin, straight with a little sugar stirred in with a very small tin spoon. After our return from this trip I can remember another trip to Bermuda and then going up the Mississippi river to New Orleans.  I was promoted to AB before these trips and became a radar buff, tuning the 293 and calibrating PPI's etc. but the short range Sperry was exceptional in detail.  You could see lobster trap floats at Chester N.S.  and ducks flying down the Mississippi.

There was much celebration aboard ship when we learned we were going to Korea.  On our way south to the Panama canal, we stopped in New York City and HMCS Iroqouis who was with us part way bumped us pretty hard berthing, being the senior ship we were alongside the jetty. We developed an under water leak as a result and this required several attempts to repair at Longbeach, CA,  Hawaii and Guam on our way to the UN base in Sasebo, Japan.  Our sea duties in Korea were primarily "plane guard" for carriers in the controlled waters called the cigarette run off the west coast of Korea. These waters were so named because on the charts these mine cleared waters were the shape of a cigarette.  I remember one time we sailed up the east coast of Korea and were met by a US navy patrol boat and an officer came on board and directed us to the targets that he wanted taken out.  This was an exciting change from the routine of plane guard.  The ship went into dry dock in Kure, Japan were the below water line damage was properly repaired and the Japanese shipyard workers also chipped all paint on the hull and superstructure and Huron got a fresh coat of paint.

I left the ship in Sasebo to return to Stadacona for a radar course via a train to Tokyo and Canadian Airlines to Vancouver with a fuel stop in the Aleutians on the island of Shemya.  This was a terrifying experience in thick fog and two attempts at landing.  The plane was a North Star.  One little bit of information that I learned from the HMCS Huron web site, is that the ship's X gun turret is now at RMC Kingston and the picture includes Gord Edwards with whom we went on shore leave together many times and was a mess mate.  Also this was the gun that accidently fired with barrels in their lowest position and destroyed a Carley float on the port side.  I happened to be walking aft on the upper deck when this happened and incurred permanent hearing damage to my left ear.  These recollections are now over 57 years ago so they may contain some inaccuracies.  After my five years of service, my working career was in the diagnostic imaging field in service, sales, service and sales management and retired as General Manager of Toshiba of Canada's Medical Systems Division. I now regret not changing my plans and going to the reunion in Kingston.

Respectfully submitted  Donald H. Bishop
E-mail:   <donandgrace5(at)>

Crossley, Sidney Ross    CPO, CD, C1SN4 (Deceased Dec 2008)

crossley_small.jpgOf Edmonton; joined the RCN on September 13, 1937; served in Naden, Fraser, Nootka, HMS Victory, HMS Osprey, Stadacona, Restigouche, Arrowhead, Assiniboine, Swift Current, Nipigon, Melville, Givenchy, Wentworth, Tillsonburg, Sea Cliff, Port Colbourne, Peregrine, New Waterford, Charlottetown II, Rockc!iffe, Antigonish, Haida, Swansea, Huron, Crescent, Portage, Horon, Fort Erie, Brunswicker, Cornwallis, Niobe, HMS Ferret, Ottawa.  Retired March 14, 1963.

Carmichael, Butch

carmichael_butch.jpgWas a electrician's mate aboard Huron from  May 26, 1958 to December 31, 1959.
My shipmates were, Harvey Hammond, Jack Smith, James McIntyre, Bob Gibbons, John O'Leary, Jim Crockett. Ken King, Dale Ostertag, Andre DeRorosier, Jean Dejean, Leo Poilieot, George Tranahan, Don Pushie, Tom Fullerton, Dan Talbot, Warren Richter, Tolson Tucker. John Ferguson.

Would like to hear from some of my former shipmates.
Butch Carmichael . E-mail: butcdor(at)

(L-R)  Jack Smith, Harvey Hammond, Warren Richter and Butch Carmichael in the fall of 1958.
Gauthier, Robert

Served as stoker aboard Huron 1953-54. Ran aground in Korea and came home via the Suez Canal. Pitched for ball team in Japan.  Coach was P1  Lutzak. Had messmates Rosey Flowersmith, Moe Campeau, Harry Muttersback, Dave Parent, Glen Wilberforce, Nick Koharski and many others.  Caught polio on second
trip, left ship in Hawa. I got out of the Navy in 1956 after five years. Joined the police department the same year and retired from Montreal Police in 1994.

E mail <nogard1137(at)>

Goodwill, Neil    CERA , CD

I joined the navy in 1947 as an OSWT (Ordinary  Seaman Wireless Operator) then transferred to OSEM in 1948 (Ordinary Seaman for Engineer Mechanic)

In 3 years I was LSEM (Leading Seaman EM)
In 6 years I was a Petty Officer 2nd Class 1953 (in Huron in Korea)
In 9 years I was a Petty Officer 1st Class (square rig)

As P1, I was Senior Instructor NBCD School (Nuclear/Biological Chemical Defence plus Fire Fighting) At that time, I had served in 4 ships then went on to a total of 12 ships in my 25 years with the navy.

As CERA 1966,  I had the Minesweeper Squadron as Chief of the four ships - Thunder, Chaleur, Fundy and
Chignecto - OIC of  four Petty Officers and crew - one P/O to each of my ships. This policy relieved an Engineering L/Cdr in lieu of a Chief.

I retired in 1972 as CERA supervisor of a naval stores (all branches, committed to inputting the entire naval shipsallowance list to (then new) computer tape. I had civilian staff of  two  keypunchers and eight civil servants under my wing with two Petty Officers in DMCR4-3,  CFB Rockcliffe

Neil Goodwill
Port Dover, Ontario

Grenon,  Don ABVS1

I served aboard Huron when she was recommissioned in 1958 for 17 months. I was surprised to see the photos as I have them in my photo album. Pictures were taken by PO2 Drabey.  33 years later he was the Commanding  Officer for the sea cadet camp at HMCS Quadra, Comox B.C. After all that time I didn't recognize him

One day my brain was in gear, so I brought my photo album to the camp to show him.  We sure had lots of
memories. Worked close to him for 2 years . At that time I was custodian for the Camp. Also, I was a Victualating Storesman  on the Huron. Was in 23 Mess  by the tiller flat

E-mail:salishhollow <>

Hopkins GGA,

Stoker from 15 Sept 1959 to 1 May 1963. My first ship  will always be a great memory. To think back to the really odd assortment of characters is really a treat. Stories that could be told number in the hundreds.
Hammocks were really great to sleep in at sea, in harbour they somehow were difficult to manage after a night ashore!

e-mail: hopsub(at)

Inglis, Terry

I started in Cornwallis in July 1961 where I did my basic training in the Kootenay Division then I went back for communications training. Was then posted to the Huron , where we did the cruse to Jamaica and Trinidad  in 1962 on her paying-off cruise.  I was then posted to the Chaudière and served aboard her until I left the service in 1964. I would like to hear from anyone who served on those ships in that time period. By the way I  was a signalman , ABSG1 when I left the service.

My e mail address is <bootstwo(at)>

King, Ken

Drafted on Huron in 1959 as OSLM from Shearwater. First trip on board was Queen's escort during opening of seaway in '59. Never got to go up  the St Lawrence with the Queen but met her in Shediac. NB and escorted her to Halifax for her trip back to England. Done many trips  to Bermuda on board and sailed Huron up to Lauzon PQ for a major  refit in '59. Lived in the forward lower mess with old shipmates such as Del Ostertag, Tom Fullerton, and many that their names escape  me now. When I was on board I worked for P1ET Lauzon maintaining all  electrical equipment. Left Huron in '63 for the Bonnie, but sure enjoyed my stay on board. I got out of the navy in 1969 and have  visited HMCS Haida a few times and sure brought back old  memories.

Ken King,
Kincardine, Ontario
E-mail: "Kings" <>

Lahey,  Murray

I served on the Huron from Sept. 1955 until Jan.1957 as an electrician (331). Our mess was in the Port Wing mess with the Branch. Our Mess PO. was Bob Webberly (deceased God Bless him). I retired in 1983 as a C2ET4A. Also, the last ship I served on was the New Huron (280 Class). Two other ex Huron crew on
the new Huron, were Spud Forsythe (Cox'n) and Syd Barckhouse (SN). The old saying that your first ship is your best, is really true. The friends I met on her are still my best friends today.

Murray Lahey
E-mail: <zzum(at)>

Lundy, Terry

I served in the RCN from 1954 to 1959. My first ship was the HURON in which I served from March 1955 to May 1956. Most of this time was spent at sea on exercises with NATO. I have fond memories of the good men that I sailed with - Muz Lahey, Spud Forsyth, Yawarski, Jerret, Mckiddy and many more who's names I don’t recall. I remember visiting Plymouth England, Genoa Italy, Amsterdam Holland, Gibraltar and Norway. It was quite an experience that I have often thought of throughout my lifetime. I left the navy in 1959 as ABLM1 and worked as a beer store manager until retiring in 1999.

Terry Lundy.
Mississauga Ont
email: Terry Lundy <tlunc571(at)>

Morin, Robin

I served in Huron from 1962 until she was paid off.
Robin Morin <m.robin(at)>

Sampson, Leo L/SQM2

Served on second Korea trip. Looking  for any old shipmates  - Julian /Laberge/Richardson/ Pinson. and any others who are looking to spin a yarn.

E-mail: <leosampson.ns(at)>

Sanders , Lynn  OSEM

I arrived on board the Huron in the fall 1958 straight out of  boot camp (Cornwallis). We sailed a couple of days later for the Med.  Arrived in the Azores first, then Malta, Italy, France. We were playing war games off Toulon France with a darkened ship. At 0200 we hit a French destroyer at 25 knots but not one person was hurt. The Huron had its bow pushed back 50 to 70 feet. The French built a new bow, floated it up a river, lifted it into the drydock, welded it and sent us on our way. We arrived home Christmas Day. What a way to break into the Navy.

OSEM  Lynn Sanders

Sproule,  Hugh  LSPT2 J. P. - - (16479-H).

Served in HMCS Huron from June 1954 until December 1955 as the ship's PTI   I left the RCN in 1959 to pursue a degree in Physical Education. While doing so I worked for the YMCA for close to 18 years. Shortly after leaving the RCN I joined the Naval Reserve. However, the reserves did not have a PTI classification, so I
became a Bos'n. In 1977, I left the YMCA and went on full time active duty as a reserve. I took my commission and remained very close to training of Naval Reservist personnel until I reached mandatory retirement age in 1990.
There are very few days that go by that I don't think of HMCS Huron, the crew and many of the crazy things we did . The circumnavigation of the world was a highlight, that is cherished still today, - - 'West About.'

Keep up the great work.
Yours aye,

J. P. Hugh SPROULE, Lt(N) Ret'd
Port Alberni,BC
(250) 724-6677

Steele, John

I served on Huron as OSEM/ABEM from Jan. 1963 until she paid off.. M yself,  Ron Geddies and Chief Dick Tracy did the last engine room shut down. Retired from the navy in 1986.


Stevenson, Steve ABEM2   54429-H

I joined the crew of HMCS Huron in the Fall of 1961as the youngest crew member. Per tradition, I became “Captain for the Day” on Christmas day 1961. CMR. W.C. Spicer was the commanding officer at that time. It was quite an experience and one that I will never forget. Although the original HMCS Huron is long gone, I also served on HMCS Haida which is alive and well. The Tribal Class Destroyers were wonderful ships.

E-mail: Stephen Stevenson [kelownasjme(at)]

Steve Stevenson as Captain For the Day, Christmas Day 1961. (Photo provided by Steve Stevenson)
Webmaster's note: As of February 2021 the Captain for the Day tradition is alive and well in the RCN. Here is some additional information about the tradition from someone who  is serving in 2021.
“As for the RCN tradition, yes it is absolutely still the case that the youngest sailor becomes the CO for the day, although unless deployed it's not Christmas, per se, but the day that we do our Christmas Dinner onboard — which is now no longer really a mess dinner, but a full day of pirate rig in ugly Xmas sweaters and lots of drinking games. And I would even say it goes further than that:  The day of the Christmas Dinner is the only day that mixed-messing is allowed onboard..Not only does the youngest become the CO;  but all the junior sailors will try to swap with an officer, each vying for the highest rank they can for the day. .As a result, all officers and senior NCOs know to keep extra epaulettes in their pockets, that day, for rank swapping.

For my last two  Christmases onboard ship, I've been both a Killick and an OS — surprisingly people actually want to be a Subbie (HA-HA! ). Obviously after the CO, the next coveted rank is the Coxswain’s rank , much to the XO’s disappointment. As for pictures, I don't have any, because -- as we all know -- no pictures in the mess!  ;-) ”

Stokes,  Barry

 I arrived in Huron on 3 Nov 1952 with kit bag, 'mick, tool box and heart in hand. I was barely 18 years old, an OSEMS. My first job was Mess Deck Dodger! Someone may remember saying or hearing "who put the f---ing caramel pudding on the f---ing mashed potatoes". Well, I'm afraid it was the new MDD that did it. The pork gravy and the caramel pudding duff looked very much alike until I had served six or seven plates to my waiting messmates. By then it was sticking to the spoon.

I endured the rest of the refit and took a quick trip into the North Atlantic (just past the Gates). It was then off to earn medals in Korea! But my lung collapsed on 31 March and I spent the War in a hospital bed. Bugger.

I ended up on the West Coast, in time became a P1ET4 and retired on 17 November 1989 as a Lt(N)Engineer Officer. And I never, ever again had caramel pudding on my mashed potatoes. Would like to hear from anyone who remembers me. My e-mail address is   <> and my home phone is (250) 881-1413

Sturges, James  M.    L/S MN QR3 V27529

I was one of the many lucky seaman to sail onboard the Huron G24 during WWII and was part of her comissioning crew.
Address: #411-5 Rowntree Rd., Etobicoke, Ontario  M9V 5G9 ; (416) 746-O895
e-mail: "DANIEL STURGES" <rod(at)>

Former HURON crew who attended the CTDA Reunion, August  2003. Front Row (L-R) Neil Goodwill, Jim Colman, Ross Smith. Back Row (L-R) Bud Flanagan, Bill Black, George "Pat" O'Hara.  (Photo by Jerry Proc)

HURON's  'X' gun as seen on the grounds of the Royal Military College in Kingston, Ontario in October 2003. For some unknown reason the gun is fitted on a 4.7 inch mount.  This gun saw service aboard HURON in both WWII and Korea. HURON set sail for her first tour of duty in Korea on February 15, 1951. The ship did not receive her modernization to a destroyer escort  until late 1952 with sea trials completed by April 1953. 

Kingston was the locale for the 2003 Huron Association Reunion. From (L-R): Huron President 'Wee' Sandy MacLachlan, Gord Edwards and "Big" George
MacDonald, one of the organizers of the Reunion. (Photo by Neil Goodwill)

Korean-era  Huron stokers gather to reminisce in the CPO's mess, Windsor Park, Halifax on July 4th 2004. This meeting coincided with the Reunion of CPO's in Halifax but was not part of that event, just an impromptu get together. Left to right: Neil Goodwill, Bill Skeffington, Nick Koharski, and Bernard "Barney" Haggerty. All became Chief and Petty Officers before retiring. 

These Huron stokers messed together in Korea. After 50 years, there were many tales to tell... from 1953 to 2004. All these shipmates share the common experience of running aground  in Korea and spending hours in damage control keeping the ship afloat. (Photo courtesy of Neil Goodwill)

Back to Home Page