|This map, from Decca Navigator News, March 1952 shows the coverage area of the new German chain. Unfortunately there is no mention of the towns where the various transmitters were situated. Note that the red and purple stations are reversed in what is probably the Multipulse version of the chain below.|
At the close of WWII, Germany was divided up between the Allied powers and the Russians with the west receiving slightly more than half the country. Berlin, being in East Germany, was divided equally between the occupying powers. In 1948, in an effort to drive out the Allies from Berlin, the Russians blocked all air and land transportation links to Berlin. In response, the Allies established the Berlin air lift. Everything that Berlin consumed had to be flown in. To ensure the safety of the air transports, three protected air corridors were established from West Berlin to West Germany and remained in place until the end of the Cold War. British aircraft, already equipped with Decca could utilize the new Decca chain immediately.
In reference to Berlin, the Hamburg corridor pointed to just north of the Zeven slave. The Buckeburg corridor headed towards Hannover while the Frankfurt corridor pointed to Frankfurt. (Map graphic courtesy http://geography.about.com/library/cia/blcgermany.htm Modified by Jerry Proc)
Contributors and Credits:
1) Decca Navigator News, March 1952 - German chain officially opens
Back to Decca Chains Page