BANGOR Class Minesweeper - Radio Fit
The following excerpt from The Ships of Canada's Naval Forces 1910-2002 provides a brief description of the Bangor Class."The RCN had four minesweepers in 1939, Canadian-built copies of the RN's Basset class, and consideration was being given to building more of these when the Naval Staff learned of the RN's newer Bangor class. The Bangor was larger and faster, had much greater endurance, and burned oil unlike the coal-burning Bassets. Accordingly, twenty-eight Bangor class minesweepers were ordered in 1940 and twenty more under subsequent programs. Another six, built at Vancouver for the RN, were loaned to the RCN for the duration of the war. Ten Bangors of the first program were of a smaller, diesel-engine variety and one of these, Granby, survived until 1966. Most of the Bangors were named after Canadian towns and cities; the rest after bays.
Like the corvettes, the Bangors were small enough to be produced at shipyards on the Great Lakes, and sixteen were built at Toronto and Port Arthur. The Toronto yard turned out six others of the class for the RN. As enemy mines were laid only once (1943) in Canadian waters, the Bangors were used principally as escorts to coastal shipping or as local escorts to ocean convoys. Sixteen of them, however, assisted in sweeping the approaches to Normandy before D Day, and stayed to help clear German and Allied minefields in the Channel for some months afterward.
Two classes of wooden-hulled ships were built in Canada for magnetic minesweeping, the Llewellyn and Lake classes. None of the latter class had been commissioned by VJ Day, and the ten most nearly complete were turned over to the USSR".
On the morning of 24 December 1944, the Bangor minesweeper HMCS Clayoquot was carrying out an anti-submarine sweep in the Halifax approaches under the command of LCdr Campbell. Near noon, just around "up-spirit" time, the ship was hit by a torpedo when it was some two miles distant from the Sambro Light Vessel. The GNAT torpedo, fired from U806, hit the Clayoquot aft killing the depth charge crew and trapping two officers in their cabins. The ship quickly settled by the stern and sank in 25 fathoms. There was no time to withdraw the primers in the depth charges so they detonated. Sixty-seven of the ships company were picked up from the frigid waters within fourty minutes. (From an original oil painting by Pat Burstall imprinted on a Christmas card of the Atlantic Chief and Petty Officers' Association)
VITAL STATISTICS Length: 180 feet Beam: 28 feet Draught: 8 ft. 3 in. Displacement : 672 tons Top Speed: 16 knots Crew Complement : 6 officers, 77 men Armament: One 4" gun; one 3" gun; One 12 pdr; two 2 mm Oerlikons. Programs: 1939-40; 1940-1941; 1941-42
HMCS Wasaga is being used to represent the Bangor Class. Note the SW1C navigation radar (Yagi type) antenna atop the foremast. The Bangors were bluff-bowed ships, very wet in a head sea, and arguably less comfortable even than corvettes in rough weather. (Photo courtesy Naval Museum of Manitoba)
WWII ERA RADIO FIT
TYPE DESC QTY CM11 LF/HF Transmitter-receiver 1 FR12 LF/HF Transmitter-receiver 1 MDF-5 MFDF set 1 PV500 HM HF Transmitter 1
1950: A portion of the radio room aboard RCMP IRVINE. From left to right: Canadian Marconi FR12, CSR5 and MSL5. The CSR5 was last tuning a station around 475 kc/s. Note the knife switches on the battery charging panel at the right side of the photo. (Photo courtesy of Staff Sergeant Ben Colp, R.C.M.P. Marine Division submitted by Spud Roscoe)
Ten of the fifty-four Bangor class minesweepers had diesel engines and the rest had steam engines. After WWII, the RCN kept three of the ten after it was realized the RCMP could not afford them. These were:
178 CYQP BROCKVILLE "Barmaid Y"
179 CYQK DIGBY "Mariner I"
180 CYQX Granby "Fancy Ball Y"
The navy used HMCS GRANBY as a Diving Tender based at Halifax, N.S. The other two took on the role of training vessels. When the Korean War broke out the navy decided to recommission eighteen more Bangors:
181 CGKS DRUMMONDVILLE
182 CGJT KENTVILLE "Native M"
183 CGRQ PORT HOPE
184 CZDN GANANOQUE
185 CGVB SWIFT CURRENT
186 CGYF MALPEQUE
187 CZCP WESTMOUNT
188 CGLW NIPIGON
189 CZDH MINAS
190 CGRH SARNIA
191 CGXE KENORA
192 CGQV MAHONE
193 CZFI BLAIRMORE
194 CZCR MILL TOWN
195 CGVS FORT WILLIAM
196 CGRC RED DEER
197 CZGF MEDICINE HAT
198 CZJD GODERlCH
HMCS KENTVILLE in No. 2 Lock of the LaChine Canal, Quebec on
May 24th, 1954. Click to enlarge. Several features are in evidence.
* Foremast, upper yardarm, starboard side is fitted with a vertical dipole antenna.
* Foremast, lower yardarm, port side - another vertical dipole but for a lower frequency than the one above .
* Four flattop wire antennas.
* Sperry Mk II navigation radar antenna. This was the initial version that had the wire mesh parabola.
* Crossed loops for the Model MDF-5 MFDF.
(Public Archives of Canada PA114516 submitted by Spud Roscoe VE1BC)
This drawing was found in a Canadian Marconi PV500 transmitter manual. It shows the fitting of an SMR-3 receiver plus high and low frequency versions of the PV-500 transmitter. The drawing is titled "Proposed Deck Layout for Minesweeper Equipment Canadian Naval Service" It is presumed that reference is being made to the new Bangor class minesweepers of the day. This is the only piece of evidence which might suggest the overall shape of a Bangor's radio room. (Image courtesy Canadian Marconi) This is a deck plan for HMCS Fort William circa 1939. It shows the position of the W/T office in the side view and the RDF (Radar) office in the top view. Click on thumbnail to enlarge. (Drawing courtesy Historical Naval Ships Association)
On-build, Bangors were fitted with the Canadian SWC radars as evidenced from photos of the early programs. By 1944 many Bangors were sporting the 291 radar on the foremast peak.
Bangors were equipped with the 128 set. This was the retractable dome version of the British 127 set and was superior in performance to the 123A since it relied on a gyro compass instead of a magnetic compass for bearing indication. Priority was given for the fitting of the 128 set in Bangors because it was originally intended that their primary role was to be minesweeping, a task that required accurate navigation to mark swept channels. Corvettes, which were supposed to be jack-of-all trades -- such as escort, minesweeper, and patrol craft, would have to suffice with the less accurate 123 set which employed a magnetic compass. From 1941 and onwards, both classes of ships were transferred to ocean escort duties. It was the Corvette, burdened with an older generation ASDIC, that was given the task of protecting the most vital escort groups, while the Bangors served with the less important Western Local group. On Bangors, the ASDIC hut was located on the forward and starboard side of the bridge. Training control was the same as that of a 124 set. In February of 1943, the British Admiralty announced that the 128 set in Royal Navy Bangors was being superseded by 128A. Type 128A had a training mechanism that was manipulated electrically rather than mechanically and was kept on target automatically by the ships gyrocompass. The RCN quickly approved the same change for its own Bangors, however, it had to wait for a British policy statement before work could start. There were nineteen versions of the 128 set produced during World War II.
 None of the WWII photos show this antenna. This was a post war fitting likely done after 1949. It looks like an antenna for a TBS radio but that would have been phased out by the late 1940's.
Contributors and Credits:
1) Ships of Canada's Naval Forces (1910-2001) by Ken Macpherson and Ron Barrie. Vanwell Publishing 2002.
2) Spud Roscoe <spudroscoe(at)eastlink.ca>
3) Alan Riley WWII Telegraphist, Toronto Ont.
4) Asdic, Sonar Radar and IFF in the RCN - http://jproc.ca/sari/asd_et1.html
5) PV500 Instruction Manual 1942. Canadian Marconi
Back to Table of Contents