NRS Chimo - Photo Album
Photos taken by John Murison were done in the 1951-52 time period using a Kodak 828 camera.
John Murison next to a Bombardier B-12 snowmobile. It was painted navy blue. (Photo courtesy John Murison)
O/S Harold Zink with a member of the dog sled team. Tending a dog team was a hobby for the radio operators but a livelihood for the local Inuit people. Photo by John Murison) (L-R) O/S Ron Maclellan and O/S Bob Collins. These two were the Jokers at Chimo. (Photo by John Murison)
Digging oil drums out of the snow in January. (Photo by John Murison) Harry (?) tending to the dog team pups. Later, they had to be sold since it was not possible to obtain the proper food to feed the dogs. (Photo by John Murison)
(L-R) Ron Maclellan, Lac Newman, Robert Homath and Bryce Eckstein. When Harold "Harry" Zink, Ron Maclellan. Bob Collins and John Murison left the base in 1952, the local Inuit people came to the runway, lined up and shook their hands one by one. This was their farewell to the RCN. (Photo by John Murison)
(Click to enlarge)
CGS C. D. HOWE was an ice-strengthened, northern supply ship and like most ships of that class, she was not the easiest vessel to manoeuvre. Note the heavy derricks and the boats used to off-load supplies. This photo was taken after 1962 when the paint scheme was just red and white. When she suppled Chimo she had a black hull, white superstructure and a buff funnel.
The Howe's call sign was CGSS and she was fitted with an American Mackay radio station. It was not until 1962 that the C.D. Howe became a CCGS. (Canadian Coast Guard. Photo submitted by Spud Roscoe)
This Bell 47 helicopter from the C.D. Howe is making a landing at Chimo.
Mounted on the stern of the ship was the helicopter hanger. It was a telescoping, retractable structure which moved on two rails. When ready for flight, the structure was completely retracted thus exposing the chopper. None of the civilian or coast guard ships had a haul down system for helicopters like the RCN's Bear Trap. (Photo by John Murison)
The Mackay MRU 19/20 station was fitted on the Howe and many other ships in the 1950's. (Photo by ITT Telecommunications submitted by Spud Roscoe) This aerial photo shows the Chimo airport and vicinity. (Department of Energy, Mines and Resources photo A12087117 submitted by John Murison) Closeup: Showing the the location of the DF site (Department of Energy, Mines and Resources photo A12087117) Airfield: RCAF C-47 Dakota with a Horsa Glider in tow. Developed during WWII, the Horsa could carry 25 troops at a tow speed of 127 mph and a glide speed of 100 mph. This was part of the Sundog 2 Exercise. (Photo by John Murison) Supplies: This Dakota from RCAF Station Goose Bay (Nfld) is offloading supplies to a snowmobile. This was a familiar scene in many parts of Canada's north. (Photo by John Murison) RCAF Northstar: Another very familiar aircraft in Canada's north was the Canadair Northstar. It was a unique Canadian redevelopment of the Douglas C-54/DC-4 aircraft. Instead of radial piston engines found on the Douglas design, Canadair selected Rolls-Royce Merlin engines in order to achieve a 35 mph faster cruising speed. The prototype first flew on 15 July 1946 and the type was selected by various airlines as well as the RCAF. It could haul 44 passengers or 11,500 lbs of cargo at 353 mph with a range of 402 miles at a cruising speed of 325 mph. The Service Ceiling was 36,000 ft. (Photo by John Murison) May Day: On 23 December , 1951 at 06:00, a call was received from the D/F shack regarding an unidentified Mayday call. The off-duty operators went outside and were able to hear the sound of an approaching aircraft. Shortly afterwards they spotted the aircraft overhead, firing red distress flares. The runway was not equipped with lights and it was still quite dark so the available vehicles were driven to the ends of the runway and were left there with their headlights still on. The pilot managed to bring in the aircraft with three engines out and the fourth one quit while it was still taxing on the strip. On closer inspection, it was a USAF cargo ship headed home for Christmas. Spare parts were dispatched to Chimo by the USAF but they didn't make it in time and the plane missed its departure schedule. The operators invited the American air crew to spend Christmas with them and they shared whatever they could thus making new friends in the process. (Photo by John Murison) A Mont Laurier Aviation PBY4 Catatlina. This carrier transported equipment to mining companies and other civilian organizations. Chimo was used for refuelling and sometimes an overnight stay at the base. (Photo by John Murison) B12: Many who served in Canada's north will remember seeing the popular Bombardier B-12 snowmobile. Between 1945 and 1951, L’Auto-Neige Bombardier sold 2,596 vehicles. The Department of Public Works owned the majority of the B-12's up north and they were painted yellow. Here, the B-12 is depicted on a stamp issued by Canada Post. (Canada Post image)
CHIMO (Kuujjuaq) TODAY
Kuujjuaq, population 2,055, as it looks in 2004. (Photo courtesy Michael Maiku, mayor of Kuujjuaq)