OTHER EXHIBITS
chain1.gif

CATWALKS

catwalk.jpg
This is one of two catwalks that were installed on the ship during the refit of October 1944. Due to the 'split deck' configuration, Tribals were considered to be 'wet'. In periods of rough seas or heavy weather, the deck would be awash with water. The inclusion of the catwalks connecting one deck (the foc'sle) with the After Canopy made fore and aft movement much easier and safer in heavy weather. Seen here is the starboard catwalk.
WASHBASINS
washbasins.jpg
Wash basin area and shower stall off the port side passageway, mid-ship. Water for washing was drawn from the fresh water tanks then replenished from the evaporator when HAIDA was at sea.  (Photo by Jerry Proc) 
 

MOTOR CUTTER

motor_cutter_2007_08_29.jpg
HAIDA's motor cutter was restored and made seaworthy in 2007. Due to problems which developed after the restoration, the cutter was placed on permanent display in HAIDA's Gift Shop.   Select this link for the complete story.  (Photo by Jerry Proc) 

 
eng_officer.jpg
Engineering Officer's Cabin: All the engineering drawings for the ship were located in this area which doubled as an office and living quarters for the Engineering Officer. By 1950 all destroyer escorts had an Electrical Officer. He was responsible for all things electrical and electronic and thus had custody of the electrical drawings. The drawings were not stored in the Electrical Officer's cabin, but could have been held in the Electrical Workshop,  with electronic (radar, comm, etc) drawings held in the Electronics Maintenance Room (EMR).
coxswains.jpg
Coxswain's (Regulating) office: As the senior non-commissioned officer, the Coxswain worked closely with the Captain on the administration of the ship and crew. Mail was also sorted and sent from this office.
2009-07-01passageway.jpg
In the forward port and starboard passageways, the existing 12" x 12" tiles were removed and replaced with period  (Korean war era)   9"x 9" tiles. Since this format of tile is no longer available, 12" x 12" tiles were purchased and then pruned from 12"x 12 " to  9"x 9" size at the shop of the tile layer. The same colour pattern was used in the forward mess areas and the passageways were also repainted. The aft passageway also received the same treatment but a green/gray pattern was used. 
All photos in this table by Jerry Proc

ENGINEERING WORKSHOP

engineering_workshop.jpg
The Engineering Workshop was repainted by HAIDA's volunteer Stoker, Marg Mathers in 2011. At the left side is a model to illustrate the operation of the tiller motor, associated hydraulics and controls. It was built by Marg Mathers and Jim Brewer. (Photo by Jim Brewer) 

WEAPONS WORKSHOP

armourers _workshop_2011_08.jpg
Weapons technicians stored their tools here and carried out minor repairs. Guns crews also used this as a shelter. (Photo by Jerry Proc)

 
charlie_nobel_sept2006.jpg
The exhaust stack for the stove in the Officer's Galley was known as the "Charlie Nobel" and was restored in 2006. Around 1850, a British merchant service captain, Charles Noble, upon discovering that the stack of his ship's galley was made of copper, ordered that it be kept bright. From then onwards, the ship's crew started referring to the galley smokestack as the "Charlie Noble". (Photo by Jim Brewer)
Continue Tour OR Back to Home Page
Oct 10/11